If you’re looking for a new breakfast idea, I highly recommend these Eggy Breakfast Muffins. They are delicious, nutritious, and best of all, they freeze well and reheat nicely. I love having a bag of these in my freezer so I can send my husband out the door with a warm breakfast with little effort on my part. (I can sleep longer knowing he has something to help himself to…) 🙂
I got the idea for this recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Family Feasts for $75 a Week, by Mary Ostyn. If you don’t have this book, I highly recommend getting a copy or borrowing it from the library. There are a lot of super recipes in it.
- ½ lb cooked meat (bacon, ham, or sausage)
- ½ cup shredded raw veggies (zucchini is my fav - I have lots in the freezer from my garden and it's easy for me to disguise as a spice - but carrots, mushrooms, peppers - all would be fabulous in these muffins.)
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup freshly ground flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp minced, fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare your muffin tins.
- Cook the meat and remove from pan. Saute the veggies until soft, 3-5 minutes. Remove to bowl.
- Mix together eggs, milk, cheese. Add dry ingredients and then everything else. Stir together just until combined.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
It’s also a very versatile recipe – don’t have shredded cheddar? Tried sliced Provolone. Don’t have sausage? Try bacon. Or omit meat altogether. You can put whatever you want in these eggy muffins! I double this recipe to make 24 muffins at once.Then I freeze the extras and feed them to my husband during the week when he needs something quick. It works very well!
How do you feed your family a nutritious breakfast with little effort (and without getting up 0 dark thirty?)