Looking for a great way to use up zucchini? This is a fabulous recipe for Italian Zucchini Pie. It’s a twist on both zucchini and pie. It’s great fresh and freezes well too! This recipe was originally given to me by a good friend with an enormous organic garden and orchard in Southwestern Missouri.
Italian Zucchini Pie
- 4 cups sliced (or shredded) zucchini
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- ½ cup butter (or oil)
- 2 Tbs parsley flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder (I usually use "real" crushed garlic)
- ¼ tsp basil
- ½ tsp oregano
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp. prepared mustard
- 9" pie shell
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 10" skillet, cook the zucchini, onions, and garlic (if using fresh) in butter and/or oil until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in the parsley and seasonings. In a large bowl, blend the eggs and cheese together and stir into the veggie mix.
- Prepare the crust and spread mustard on the crust.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I have frozen these in years with bumper zucchini crops and intend to freeze a couple this week. I freeze them before baking and then just pop them in the oven while they are still frozen and bake for 34-40 minutes.