Looking for a great way to use up zucchini? This is a fabulous recipe for Italian Zucchini Pie. It’s a twist on both zucchini and pie. It’s great fresh and freezes well too! This recipe was originally given to me by a good friend with an enormous organic garden and orchard in Southwestern Missouri.
Italian Zucchini Pie
Serves 1-2 pieces
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
- 4 cups sliced (or shredded) zucchini
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter (or oil)
- 2 Tbs parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (I usually use real crushed garlic)
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp. prepared mustard
- 9 pie shell
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 10 skillet, cook the zucchini, onions, and garlic (if using fresh) in butter and/or oil until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in the parsley and seasonings. In a large bowl, blend the eggs and cheese together and stir into the veggie mix.
- Prepare the crust and spread mustard on the crust.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I have frozen these in years with bumper zucchini crops and intend to freeze a couple this week. I freeze them before baking and then just pop them in the oven while they are still frozen and bake for 34-40 minutes.